I know that people hate it when people are all braggy-braggy on their blogs, but I have a story where I just, don’t….care.

Mark and I finished the half marathon last Sunday and I’m so excited to say that we both beat our goals and it was a perfect day!

I have trained for this for months, clocking over 170 miles and never missed a run.  Hardly slept afraid I would miss the alarm.  I even insisted that we set both alarms on our alarm clock and an alarm on both of our cell phones.  Control freak much?  I concede.

It was a perfect day for a run.  Around 50 degrees when we started…still dark.  But it wasn’t a good start.  Everything was bottlenecked and I had to walk the first 2 minutes before I could even jog, then a couple of minutes of weaving in and out of the crowds it finally loosened up.  I was so determined to beat my goal of 2:00 that I knew I needed to make up time.  I was booking it….literally.  My 1/2 split was 52 minutes….at that pace I would have finished at 1:42 (a wild thought but not likely).

Unfortunately, the course had many hills left waiting for me…at the last 3-4 miles of the race.  I walked….a lot.  I wasn’t even sure if I could make my feet move, even in a lazy jog.  I even saw a couple of UK fans cheering us on.  That definitely made me smile.  

Then at the 11th mile, my i pod went out and I spent the last 2 miles in silence, because I was too tired to even think of a song in my head.  I thought that I would be so pumped to finish that the last couple of miles would be a breeze.  But it was far from a breeze and I had no “runner’s high” this time.  All I wanted to do was finish so I could start walking.  I even ran faster at the end, not because of my time, but because I just wanted it to be over.

After I finished I immediately started walking.  I remember this lady walked up to me and asked me if I was okay…I just looked at her (who knows what my face looked like) and said, “I’m fine I’m just TIRED.”  I wanted to say, “Geez, lady!  I just ran 13 miles!” but I didn’t have the energy, so I saved it.

I waited for Mark to finish at the finish line.   I was so proud of him for finishing as well as he did with all the travel he had been doing for work lately.  Mark also finished under 2:00, which was his goal, too.  Success!

Afterwards I couldn’t stop smiling.  We both were flying high on endorphins and so proud of each other.  We grabbed our freebies and food, and got a quick massage (which was awkward in front of strangers, but I don’t think anyone cared at that point).  Walking back to the Marta station and back home, we proudly wore our “13.1” medals they gave us at the finish line.

I still don’t know if I’ll ever run a marathon.  Before I thought I might but Mark told me to give it at least a week.  It didn’t take long for me to realize why.  My legs and knees quickly started to stiffen up and I walked a little funny for the next couple of days so I’m not sure if my body is ready for a 26 miler.  Who knows?  I might change my mind.  We didn’t finish in 1:15 like the winner of our first half marathon, but I’ll settle for my 1:52 triumph.

I’m so thankful that I have a husband who loves an adventure here and there.  Who loves doing things together and challenging each other.  I got on the scale this past week and I’ve lost 19 pounds this year alone.  I feel better than I’ve ever felt.  I am happier than I’ve ever been in my life.  I have to share because, well, A) it was extremely hard and difficult to achieve it – no short cuts or “get skinny quick” stuff here and that makes me proud, and B) hopefully it will motivate someone else out there to get moving and start eating better too.

So 10/3/2010 is a special day to me.  Can’t wait to see what the future holds and what new challenges will be around the corner.